At their meeting Tuesday night Flin Flon City Council received the Fire Chiefs report of December indicating seven incidents during the month. On December 7th they received a report of smoke and alarms sounding at a Hill Street residence. There was a malfunction to the furnace with no smoke or fire damage. On the 19th they were called to another Hill Street residence and found a burst water line had created a short in an electrical outlet causing a small amount of smoke. On the 28th they received a report of smoke coming from a Green Street building but found no smoke or fire and on the 29th an alarm on Hapnot Street resulted from a smoke detector activated by burnt cooking. On December 4th they assisted EMS on a call as well as on the 15th when a pedestrian was struck by a vehicle on Callinan and on the 19th they extinguished a fire in a vehicle on Highway 10 A.
Later in the meeting Councillor Ken Pawlachuk expressed his concerns about our Member of Parliament Niki Ashton travelling to Greece to visit a sick relative over New Years while public health is recommending people not travel due to the spread of COVID-19. Mayor Cal Huntley noted disappointment in the lack of leadership it showed considering what a lot of people are enduring right now to follow recommended restrictions.