Flin Flon MLA Tom Lindsey told the legislature this week Fire Prevention Week is about raising awareness and educating families about how to reduce the risk of fires and knowing what to do if they occur. He explained this summer he personally experienced the tragedy that can follow a fire as his son’s house burned in a horrific event that claimed the life of one of his close friends. He said in a conversation with a Fire Inspector after the fire it was his belief that a potential cause of the fire was the use of a six outlet plug extender that was plugged into a normal dual receptacle wall plug. They warned him that today these are mainly made offshore where their production can be unregulated and potentially unsafe.
Lindsey added the products that cause these fires are used extensively by families or seniors in older homes and even though they have the CSA and UL labels there is concern that many of these labels could be forged. He also recognized all fire fighters who fight structure fires as well as forest fires noting how they and affected communities responded to keep people safe during this summers forest fires in northeast Saskatchewan.